Saturday, December 6, 2008

Parties for Dummies

Tonight is our annual Christmas party. I say "our" because now I'm married and Hubs acquired entry rights into this thing by default. But I've been throwing Christmas parties way before Hubs came on the scene - so I like to think I know a thing or two about throwing a good shindig. Actually, it's not rocket science - you have to have good food, good drinks (preferably strong) and good music. The last item is essential - bad music is just painful. (Hubs and I kept this trifecta a priority while planning our wedding...honestly, no one cares if you have awesome invitations if their food tastes like rubber and they are stuck listening to the YMCA all night.)

But even yours truly has made some real rookie party planning mistakes. It's a no-brainer that your guest bathroom needs hand soap. (Um, duh.) Or that you should test out any vessel in which you plan on holding ice beforehand, so as to not leak water all over your floor. Or that you need to keep hot food hot in order for it to be appetizing for your guests. Yep, these are all things that I've learned over the years.

Luckily people are pretty forgiving, especially if they're your friends. So rather than point out things that have gone wrong, my friends tell me how much fun they're having and compliment my outfit, which makes me happy. (Hey, I'm a Leo.) So don't be intimidated to throw a party (which is pretty common, I've heard) - stick to the basics and you can't go wrong!

And if all else fails, utilize my secret weapon: dimmers on low and LOTS of candles. Your house will instantly look better and so will everyone who's there - a win/win situation.

Cheers! Pictures to come.

No comments: