Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Favorite things

Friends and food, of course!

I spent a very lovely Sunday afternoon with friends Kiki and CaesarsMom, and CM's new baby. Let's call him Fussypants, cause that's what he is these days. Poor guy seems to have ongoing GI distress, and we all know what that can be like...

Anyway, FP is super cute and I was happy to spend time with him. Every now and then I get a baby twinge but, like indigestion, it usually fades within the hour. Right now it's perfect being Auntie Poppies. I had a great old time holding FP and giving him a bottle, which he chugged happily. It's amazing how instantly one can be gratified by being fed. (I should know.)

It was also nice catching up with my pals. Sometimes I get a little wistful when I think about how everyone is a "grown up" now, with mortgages, spouses, kids and careers. That's why it's great to realize you're never too mature (at least, in my crowd) to look up stupid youtube videos and spend the afternoon laughing your ass off.

My other noteable activity for the weekend was channeling my inner Martha. Those who know me in real life know why this is amusing...I'm the anti-Martha! But I do like to experiment with ingredients in the kitchen (I guess that would be cooking; I look at it more as playtime). My culinary creations included Berry Cobbler Rip-off and Kitchen Sink Shrimp in Mustard Sauce.

Yes, I made up those names. They're pretty self-explanatory, no?

Here are the recipes, while I figure out how to create links in this damn blog. Mangia!


Berry Cobbler Rip-off
4 c fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 c blackberries, rinsed
(Why be so formal...you can really add whatever berries you want.)
1 c flour
1 c brown sugar instant oatmeal
2-3 tbl unsalted butter

Dump the berries in a glass pie pan.
Mix the flour and oatmeal together, then work the butter in with your (clean) fingers until crumbly. Pour evenly over the berries. Add more butter if you like it and are not trying to lose weight at the moment. Bake at 350 for approx. 40 mins, or until brown n' bubbly. Serve with vanilla ice cream or fro yo.


Kitchen Sink Shrimp with Mustard Sauce
This is my adaptation of a very chic recipe from a Williams Sonoma cookbook (Skate with Mustard Sauce). While definitely a poor relation to its sophisticated cousin, it's very tasty.

3 small-med red potatoes, boiled and then diced
1 oz. proscuitto, chopped (can use pancetta or bacon, too)
3 c fresh spinach
2-3 summer squash, chopped
dijon mustard
olive oil
chopped garlic
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails off, if you're like me)

Saute 1-2 tbl. garlic (I am heavy handed with it) in olive oil in a large pan. Add potatoes and prosciutto, cook for about 5 minutes. Add squash, cook for another 3 minutes or so.

Mix 3 tbl. mustard with a few tablespoons of water, just so it's thinner but not runny. Pour on ingredients and mix - you can add a tbl of unsalted butter if so inclined (or just add a bit more olive oil).

Add the shrimp and cook for only about 1 minute, then add spinach (may have to add in batches). Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Make sure everything has been covered by the mustard sauce. Add salt to taste and crushed pepper, if you want. Serve over basmati rice.

No comments: